Welcome

Welcome to my Western Pennsylvania garden. Join me on a "Walk Down the Garden Path".

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Calling all Birds...

Well, calling all Hummingbirds and Orioles. Yesterday I put out our feeders and now I will see how long it takes to see birds at them. And then how long it takes me to get a good photo of the birds. I will be using my film camera for that since the digital takes too long to get the image.

For the Hummingbirds - which we have seen a Ruby Throated Hummingbird around in the area, I made the food with the following recipe:

4 parts water to 1 part sugar (1 cup of water, 1/4 cup of sugar)
Boil the water, dissolve the sugar in it, let cool before using.
Keep any extra in the refrigerator.

Clean out feeder and refill at least once a week.
Do not use food coloring or artificial sweeteners.



For the Orioles I used a mix I had bought where you just add warm water and dissolve (no boiling required).





So I will keep you up to date on when I see my first specimens and hopefully I will have pictures to share with you.

No comments: