Welcome

Welcome to my Western Pennsylvania garden. Join me on a "Walk Down the Garden Path".

Friday, February 20, 2009

Vegetable Garden Update - February 2009

Well there isn't much happening in the garden this month, other than some deer trampling around in the snow. The only bright spot is that the stores have their seeds in, so it's very easy to get caught up in the thought of spring planting.

We did just that while at Lowe's the other weekend, coming home with the latest home repair necessities AND a bag full of seeds AND a trunk full of whimsical garden decorations. The garden decorations were an early Valentine's gift for me. Too bad they had to go right to storage and I probably won't see them again for another two months, but they can make their debut on the blog then.

Some of the seeds we purchased were:

Tomato - Juliet hybrid
Tomato - Jelly Bean hybrid
Pumpkin - Big Max
Pumpkin - Jack O'Lantern
Sunflower - Apricot Twist
Sunflower - Mammoth
Sunflower - American Giant
Sunflower - Autumn Beauty, mixed colors
Sunflower - Chianti Hybrid
English Daisy - Double Mixed Colors

Juliet tomatoes are a favorite of ours and although you can usually find them as plants at one of the nurseries, why take the chance that they'll be sold out.

The sunflowers that really interested me are the Apricot Twist and Chianti Hybrid. The colors are so very unusual. Hopefully I will win the battle with the deer this year and actually get to see some blooms.

This is the Chianti Sunflower.



And this is the Apricot Twist Sunflower. We'll see if mine end up looking like that.

And so, the garden still sleeps under a blanket of snow. These pictures are from January but it doesn't look much different right now, maybe just a little less snow.



12 comments:

Gail said...

Hi Cindy, your header photo is wonderful! It's february and we are tired of winter so I say get seeds and get all excited about them! Aren't the photos of the plants in flower a big tease! I looked over my seedcollection and realized it is smaller then usual...must remedy that with a trip to a nursery! have a good weekend.

gail

tina said...

Those sunflowers will be great! I can't wait to see them with all the tomatoes. Yes, let the garden sleep for a bit, before we know it summer is here.

Roses and Lilacs said...

You chose some great sunflowers. I love them all. Never seen either of those tomatoes. They sound interesting. I usually pick several heirloom varieties and a couple hybrids.

My garden looks much like yours. Expecting another 6-8 inches tonight. A long time till spring (sigh).
Marnie

Anonymous said...

Glad you had some fun picking out seeds & ornaments for the garden this season. Before long you will get to enjoy all of the new additions. :)

Daphne Gould said...

Those look like some really beautiful sunflowers. I've never heard of Juliet tomatoes before. I'll have to look them up.

Rose said...

Welcome back, Cindy! I can understand your break from blogging. I just spent the past week babysitting two of my grandkids--the 20 month-old needed constant watching, of course, and when I did have time for the computer, the 5 year-old wanted to play on her favorite Dora and My Little Pony websites:)

My garden looks much like yours, and it will be a month or two before any serious thought can be given to working outside. Buying seeds is a fun diversion at least; those sunflowers will be a colorful addition to your garden!

Nola said...

Wow, I've never seen the Chianti Sunflower, I love that red! Funny, how much our minds stay in the garden, even in the dead of winter.

Unknown said...

That's a whole lot of sunflower seeds. I want to grow seeds too, but I'm waiting to buy mine for a little while yet. I have a big list of seed wants, but I think I'll have to cut some of the plants off my list.

Anonymous said...

I am a real sunflower fan and always plant a lot. I have to start them indoors cause the chipmunks love the seedlings.

As I see all your snow, I'm thinking lots of nice moisture for the garden. It's going to be lush and yummy for the plants.

TC said...

I'm sure a lot, if not most, of that snow has melted by now Ms. Cindy! And we love our sunflowers too! The color of Chianti is stunning! I think we'll be looking for those seeds! (We'll be starting our usual batch of tomatoes indoors soon.)

If you've subscribed to receive updates from my blog, or if you were following, please resubscribe. Since I switched templates, I'm afraid followers and subscribers might have lost their connection. Thanks!

joey said...

By now, hope the snow has melted. ishing you a lush April ... Happy Spring!

MNGarden said...

All this snow makes me think you should come on over to my blog and view spring.