Welcome

Welcome to my Western Pennsylvania garden. Join me on a "Walk Down the Garden Path".

Monday, September 22, 2008

Queen Autumn

I posted this on my other blog but thought I would share it here as well.


Queen Autumn

Autumn robes the trees
In fiery reds and golds
Signaling her reign




Today is the first day of my favorite season - Autumn. My favorite because the weather (at least where I live) is, in my opinion, the best at this time of year- nice warm days, cool nights, low humidity. It's also the time of year we usually go on vacation and so the memories of those past trips always come rushing back when the days start to get shorter. And since my daughter was born in the fall last year, there is a new reason for me to enjoy it.

Not to mention that the changing of the leaves is one of nature's most beautiful annual events. I could drive around leaf watching for days. Of course instead of driving, hiking is really the preferable mode of transport. To follow where the peak fall colors are, visit Dave at The Home Garden. He is coordinating a tracking of the timing of the peak colors.

Enjoy the fall days and the changing of the leaves. These days are fleeting and it won't be long now when the reds and golds are replaced with white and ice.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous colors on those trees Cindy. I haven't seen any color-changing yet here in Virginia. Soon it will happen though and another season will be over.

tina said...

What kind of tree is it that changed like that? It is striking amongst the green leaved trees. Fall is extra special for you with Lillian for sure!

Eve said...

I may brag a lot about my beautiufl MS Gulf Coast but it does have one little drawback. We don't get much color in the fall. Everything more or less, just stays green. There are a few trees though that change. I love the little popcorn trees. They have beautiful colors. It is still worth a drive into the country to see the colors that do change.

Gail said...

It is a beautiful season! I am so ready for it here...a few days in the 70s instead of the 80s would be welcome! I know you'll be sharing more fall photos! Yippee...I will get a very long fall....yours plus mine! Gail

Rose said...

Fall is indeed a beautiful season with all the changes in color. This will be a special time for you with your little girl turning one year old!

Wendy Christensen said...

That is a beautiful photo! I love fall and the colors that come with it ... I even make an apple pie last night!! Oh it was so ultra yummy! Cheers to autumn.

Anonymous said...

Autumn rules, Cindy!!! Mericfully we have several months of glorious changes to look forward to here in PA!

DP Nguyen said...

I love the colors that the leaves change in Autumn. Just beautiful!

Cindy said...

Hi Everyone! I didn't realize that when this published the poem was so tiny you couldn't even see it. The photo was just to go along with the poem and was from 2002. Our trees aren't changing quite yet. Probably a couple more weeks still. I fixed the text so the poem is now visible, darn Blogger.

PGL ~ I love having the four seasons to mark the years marching by.

Tina ~ Those are all mostly maples, we have several and I should really identify the types of maples. Maybe later this fall. It's really funny or interesting rather, that even though they are all maples, they change at different times, with different colors. We rake and clean out gutters for a long time here. I don't mind though.

Eve ~ Even though we have about six months with no leaves, I don't think I would want to give up the fall colors for having leaves on the trees for a longer time. There is something about the reds, yellows, and oranges.

Gail ~ And let's get rid of that humidity too! I'm excited to see fall photos from all over and the different types of trees and colors the various regions of the country have.

Rose ~ I can't believe it's been a year already! I'm looking forward to her first Halloween (well, technically second, but we were still in the hospital for her first).

Wendy ~ Oh, yum, apple pie. I was just thinking apple dumplings would be great this weekend.

Our Friend Ben ~ Autumn in PA is glorious, and I think there is color from September through to November. I love it!!!

DP ~ Enjoy all the fall colors. I can't wait to see some of TN's colors.