Welcome

Welcome to my Western Pennsylvania garden. Join me on a "Walk Down the Garden Path".

Monday, June 30, 2008

Coffee Blooms


Being that it is too wet to even walk in the swamp I call a vegetable garden, and the flower beds are pretty soaked as well, today I will write about one of our potted plants and our first coffee flowers. It's so very exciting. I didn't even think this plant would ever bloom, but would just be a nice foliage houseplant.

Let me introduce you to our coffee plant, formal name "Coffea arabica". We bought this plant at a local home store several years ago. At that time it was small enough that planted would fit very nicely into a styrofoam coffee cup. But how quickly it's grown. It doesn't like direct sunlight, especially outside. Some years we don't even bring it out in the summer, because even the slightest bit of direct sun causes the leaves to burn (as they are here) - and it's barely in the sun, just the tiniest bit of morning sun which can't be avoided as we don't have an awning over our deck.

The other morning John came to get me to show me something on the deck. Surprise! Flowers on the coffee plant. The flowers only last a couple of days and are lightly scented. I can't wait to see if we will get some beans, although I'm sure not enough for a cup of coffee.

2 comments:

tina said...

Gee I didn't even know you could grow coffee as a houseplant. Think you'll get some beans? I would think so with blooms.

Do you prefer Cindy or tranquil solitude?

Cindy said...

Tina - I think since there were blooms we may get some beans. I'll be sure to post about it if we do.
And I go by Cindy although the account name is tranquil solitude. Hmmm, maybe I should change it ? I'll have to look into that.
~Cindy (a.k.a. T.S. -haha)